•Tuesday, July 14, 2009
So this post actually has nothing to do with Bastille Day - but it is Bastille Day fyi :).
As I mentioned to some of you at the bbq, I have been working dilligently to repair a vintage bike through Neighborhood Bike Works. NBW, right next to Civic House, is a not-for-profit that uses revenue from its classes and donations from people building and repairing bikes at "bike church", to fund a summer camp and lots of cool youth programs around the city.
WELL, I am pleased to announce that there is a new bike in my life! It is a grannied-out, re-vamped beauty, complete with a basket. I even had to settle for one speed since a piece on the frame to hold the derailleur was shot (and would have involved a costly repair). I took it out for an inaugural ride around the Schuylkill river loop which was absolutely gorgeous! I made it back as the sun was setting - the lights on the boathouses were on and the art museum had a rosy glow. It was simply fabulous. I got quite the work-out with uphill spots, though (because of the aforementioned one-gear limitation :)). It also started making weird noises when I got back - but I'm hoping that was just a little arthritis or something.
Now, all that is lacking is a name. Winston has been one suggestion, but I honestly feel like it is such a granny bike that it might need an old lady's name (Gladys?). The brand is Nishiki, which as George pointed out sounds a lot like Nushkie... hmmm... Thoughts anyone?
As I mentioned to some of you at the bbq, I have been working dilligently to repair a vintage bike through Neighborhood Bike Works. NBW, right next to Civic House, is a not-for-profit that uses revenue from its classes and donations from people building and repairing bikes at "bike church", to fund a summer camp and lots of cool youth programs around the city.
WELL, I am pleased to announce that there is a new bike in my life! It is a grannied-out, re-vamped beauty, complete with a basket. I even had to settle for one speed since a piece on the frame to hold the derailleur was shot (and would have involved a costly repair). I took it out for an inaugural ride around the Schuylkill river loop which was absolutely gorgeous! I made it back as the sun was setting - the lights on the boathouses were on and the art museum had a rosy glow. It was simply fabulous. I got quite the work-out with uphill spots, though (because of the aforementioned one-gear limitation :)). It also started making weird noises when I got back - but I'm hoping that was just a little arthritis or something.
Now, all that is lacking is a name. Winston has been one suggestion, but I honestly feel like it is such a granny bike that it might need an old lady's name (Gladys?). The brand is Nishiki, which as George pointed out sounds a lot like Nushkie... hmmm... Thoughts anyone?
|

0 comments: